Skip to content
Close

Ohio State Chapter History

Ohio State Chapter History
Marblehead Lighthouse — Marblehead, Ohio

 

The first memories of the Ohio State Chapter, P.E.O. were the gathering of 18 delegates at Julia Coleman’s pleasant early American home in Loveland for registration for the State Convocation, on September 5, 1927. Following the registration, all our meetings were at the beautiful country home of Bessie Lee, President of Chapter A where the business sessions took place.

The original BILs were just wonderful. They provided transportation to all of our meetings, did errands, and generally were available throughout the entire time. Most especially remembered was the big box of candy wrapped in red paper which they presented to all of the delegates.

Supreme Chapter (as it was called at that time) was really well involved in all the P.E.O. activities. Mrs. Zora Knight, Organizer of the Supreme Chapter, had really helped by instructing all of us on what would need to be done. She was so gracious as she presided over the meetings, assisted by Mrs. Alice Scott, President of the Supreme Chapter.

Receiving our Ohio State Chapter charter in Oklahoma City was such a thrill for the four who attended the Memorial Convention of Supreme Chapter in Oklahoma City, October 4 – 7, 1927. The convention was so named because memorials were given for the last two of our Founders, Alice Bird Babb and Mary Allen Stafford, who had within the year, joined Chapter Eternal. At that convention, Ohio received its charter along with New York and Florida State Chapters.